Friday 16 January 2015

Gallery Review for Taylor Wessing

Dolly And Co.


The first thing I notice about this photograph is that it's very colourful and very happy and makes me happy. It makes me happy because they are old people and it seems like they are living life to the fullest. Also they are smiling and in the real world older people tend to become more miserable and don't really smile very often. The portrait is of Dolly and Eileen whom Neil Raja was commissioned to photograph for Age UK. The composition is very strange. The background is very blurry and there's a lot of negative space in the photograph. It works really well in the piece and there's a nice structure with the bench in the photo too. It's not like an ordinary photograph that's been taken out of the blue. It's pre-meditated, it's straight and the picture has a nice shape to it. The colours are very vibrant and colourful. There's many reds and greens and it looks like summer or maybe spring time, there's a blossom aspect to it too. Both people in the photograph look like they are having a good time and if it was raining in the photo, it wouldn't work aswell cos it would have a totally different mood to it. Both models look very happy together and they look like life long friends, and reliving their younger days. 


  



Untitled


This is called called Untitled and the portrait is of a group of Davey's friends and relatives including her young daughter on a late summer picnic, near the river dart in Totnes. The photograph makes me feel sad. The baby in the picture is not clothed and crying her eyes out. It also seems to me like the parents don't really care and don't want to take any notice in the baby. It seems also that all adults in the picture are pre-occupied by other things. It also seems that they are all playing a game, but not actually playing it, they all look miserable. It looks like they may have gone for a swim in the summer. The first thing that struck me in the picture is the baby, because the baby girl is in focus and to me the other people don't care about her, also it shows the true emotion of some family conflict. It's quite a depressing piece and none of them are paying any attention to the little baby. The baby seems like she just wants some love.



Embrace

The portrait is the photographers wife and their new born son. The photograph is very weird but also very natural, the umbilical cord is still attached to the baby and the mother. The photographer had doubts about his decision to photograph the birth of his baby and receiving mixed emotions reassured his wife 'Marianne' who says without a hint of self-consciousness she allowed me to photograph the birth of the baby in it's entirety. 'I owe this shot to her and of course my son Ace'. The photographer was born in 1977. I think the piece also isn't seen everyday and its very controversial and it's different to most pieces. 




Touching Strangers


The series touching strangers brings together individuals who do not know each other and who would not otherwise have met. That makes me think how weird it is because they're strangers and they don't know each others. The male model is older, early twenties lad holding a young girl in his arms. At first I thought it was a brother and sister but then I read into it more and realised they didn't know one another.It gives me mixed emotions because it seems to show to different sides, how lovely strangers can actually be and also how you have got to make sure that in the real world you keep away from people who are going to manipulate you into doing something



Overall the Taylor Wessing exhibition was amazing, I really enjoyed myself and I enjoyed looking and reading into many pieces. Here's just a few I recorded myself speaking about and then I have transferred into flowing paragraphs of writing. There was so many different pieces this year and I was so pleased to be able to go back there again this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment