Thursday 8 January 2015

Statement of Intent (Final Minor)

I have been looking at photography and movement within photographers work. I started looking at sequential photography and double exposure to begin with. I really enjoyed looking at double exposure and I liked the layering in the photographers work. I looked at photographers such as Milan Malovrh. He is a slow shutter speed photographer and majority of his work are to do with horses. He shows great detail in his work. There's a variety of colour and tonal qualities in his work and you are able to see a vast variety of texture throughout his work aswell. 
Milan Malovrh has influenced my work in many different ways. One of my favourite pieces of his is called 'Dominance'. To gain inspiration I looked into his work further and looked at the signs, meanings and messages in his work. I found there is two main colours and I liked it because the main focus was on one central horse, there were different colours in the picture but the focus was on just one horse. There were many horses in the background of the picture but the focus on the central horse gave the picture a sense of movement in the photo.

Another artist I looked at was called Nicolas Ruel. He was more my style. He was my favourite out of all the artists I had looked at. This is because he has included a variety of photographers, all with a sense of movement from all around the world. Some of the photographs are so successful. The media and techniques I have explored looking at these two photographers are slow shutter speed, double exposure, layering up on photoshop and messing around with contrast and saturation.

The techniques I have used have developed really well throughout my work. You can definitely see progression when all the photographs are together. It has developed my own work by using different source of media. Such as using a bog-standard digital camera and then layering the best photographs up on photoshop to create a sense of movement in one photo. Also another technique I had used to begin with was an app on my phone called 'slow camera'. The photo quality wasn't that great but it helped me place a point on my starting position and continue on. The 'slow camera' app was good to an extent. The colours weren't very clear although it helped me distinguish a sense of movement and a ghost-like atmosphere. This is similar to what Nicolas Ruel had done by creating a ghost-like atmosphere and the signs, meanings and messages behind the photographs show that they might be past people's experience in the specific place.

My hopes for my final solution is to produce a series of advertisements for Cambridge/London and show the people of Cambridge or the people of London that where they live shouldn't be taken for granted and that they live in a beautiful city. I am planning to do this by continuing on with the slow shutter speed and I may come back to the double exposure idea. The sense of movement in the pictures are going to come to life and I am planning to carry it through with my Final Major aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment