Monday 18 May 2015

Multi Disciplinary Final Front Covers.


First of all I decided to create the front cover of a magazine. This also linked in well with my other photography unit I did called 'Lens based Image Making'. I used the photographs that didn't have much limelight in that unit. This is because I thought they would all look really good as the front cover of 'Vogue'. I also liked the thought of making a more environmentally friendly version, I did this by using the specific photographs that I chose. Also I achieved this by combining the certain disciplines. I used printmaking, digital, photography, 3D sculpture and collage to complete my finals for this project.

I have tried to make my front covers of Vogue as environmentally friendly as possible. Also it helps to promote my theme of environment and promoting to save the birds.

The magazine cover above is my favourite cover I have designed overall because the colours link into the the season and the theme. It's a strong image and it is very eye catching to the viewer. Personally I think that the viewers would be teenage girls and maybe boys preferably the target audience is from 15-25 roughly. I think this is a perfect age range because the colours a beautiful and the covers are also not something you see everyday. I personally enjoyed designing all of them and changing the fonts on the covers aswell has made me realise how eyecatching different fonts are aswell as keeping the captions short and snappy to show the reader what they are missing out on. 

The front covers that I have mainly been looking at have an amazing colour scheme and all the colours tend to link to the season too.
So I again I tried to do the same and link my colours with the season in the picture. I also looked at different texts as well and made a combination of fonts to make the cover look more interesting and more eye catching to the viewer. Also it shows separate articles in the magazine.



The elements that different magazines have in common is that they all have a main focus. In my case my main focus is birds and saving the environment, which personally I think I have promoted very well. All magazines have the their name aligned at the top of the cover, also the fonts used are very bold and are layered on top of the main picture on the cover. They are over the main picture because it is easy to read in an order to attract the right attention. The most important thing expected on the front or back cover of a magazine is a barcode. Also the most important contents of the magazine are also displayed on the front cover is to provide a preview and sell the magazine with the main articles. The colours mainly used are also primary colours which makes the front cover appear very bold. 
Also magazines also use teasers in that they contain headlines on the front page in order to make people buy the magazine. This is called a marketing technique.




       
This is another favourite of mine, only because when I look at this cover it looks simple but looks like it includes lots of information that my sort of age range would want to read about. Also I have made this cover to attract a specific audience. There is one thing in particular I would change about all 4 front pages. I would add the date and the year onto it so the reader would know if it's a new issue etc. 
I found that the headlines are something that encourages people to buy the magazine. In this cover the feature headline share the same colour scheme as the masthead while still letting them stand out. Along with the title, the main or cover image is the thing that stands out the most on the cover of a magazine.
The featured star is normally a celebrity or a model with or without enhancements in editing. The cover star has to be attractive as it helps the magazine appeal to certain audience types. The image on my front covers stands out with its use of simplicity and colour. The dress Emma is wearing is simple yet very feminine and helps me to promote birds. This is due to the fact that bright colours in the main image may make the magazine cover too loud, due to the fact that the text colours used in this cover are very big and bold. The use of simplicity and boldness are effective, a different combination may of not gone so well but I think this colour scheme and the image itself which like I said is simple but is very effective.


In every front cover design I have made sure to include, 
  • headlines
  • main image
  • subheadings
  • title
  • barcode
  • price
  • a certain colour scheme
The headline is usually the second boldest piece of text on the front cover. This is because the viewer/reader want the main headline to stand out the most amongst the other sell-lines and features.


No comments:

Post a Comment